The Asus RT-AC1900P wireless router is the one we currently recommend to everyone. This is an updated version of the older RT-AC68U model. The wireless router has all the necessary features and not the most expensive one. This also replaces our last recommended router Asus RT-AC66U. Call and make an appointment and we can install it in your office or home.
The features most people will care about are
Wireless AC 1300
Same speed dual core 1.4 ghz CPU as the higher priced models
Create your own VPN to your home or office
Can be used as a wireless network extender or access point
Read more info at Asus’s website
You can purchase it at Best Buy for about $200
Here are the simple steps to block Windows 10 upgrade.
- Click on the the link to download GWX Control Panel
- Install with the default options and open the program
- Click the “Click to Disable ‘Get Windows 10’ App” button 1
- Click the “Click to Prevent Windows 10 Upgrades” button 2
- Click the “Click to Delete Windows 10 Download Folders” button 3a
- Wait for the Size of Windows 10 download folders to reach zero 3b
- Click the “Click to Enable/Disable Monitor Mode” button 4
- Close the program
- Click Start button and open control panel
- Open Windows Update and click change settings
- Uncheck “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates”
- Click OK and close Windows Update program
That’s it the program will now block Windows 10 upgrade and notify you if anything changes. The reasons you would want to block Windows 10 upgrade are
- Privacy settings issue that cannot be turned off
- Upgrade process that can fail and need to be repaired
- Users who would have a difficult time learning a new way of using their computer
- You have until June 2016 for the free upgrade which will probably be extended
- Prefer to wait for as many patches / fixes be included before the upgrading
- Older peripherals might not work
- Windows 7 will be supported until 2020 with updates
- Windows 8 will be supported until 2023 with updates
Here are a few worthwhile Cyber Monday Deals
CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD battery UPS $140
Battery backup UPS that I always recommend
Canon MX922 Multi Function Inkjet Printer $65
Inkjet printer I always recommend
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD hard Drive $148
Solid State Drive to improve read write performance that I always recommend
As for computer repair we are offering $20 off any service by just mentioning this Cyber Monday Deal.
There is a Macbook Pro 2011 2012 2013 recall that fixes video problems.
Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will repair affected MacBook Pro systems, free of charge.
An affected MacBook Pro may display one or more of the following symptoms:
- Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
- No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
- Computer restarts unexpectedly
- 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models manufactured in 2011
- 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina models manufactured from Mid 2012 to Early 2013
Lifetime subscription to backup 5 computers with 1TB space for only $55. This is a great deal that we signed up for ourselves. The deal ends on July 3rd.
Cryptolocker ransomeware type of viruses go by the names of FBI virus, CBT locker, cryptowall, crowti, Teslacrypt, nymaim and others. They basically try to get you to give them money so that you can access your computer and files again.
There is a program called CryptoPrevent you can install on your computer to help prevent ransomware type of virus infections. It does not remove the virus on your computer and your computer must currently be free of viruses. First run a virus scan on your computer then download and install the program. When the program opens up select default and click apply. The free version does not update itself so you have to check for updates manually as shown in the picture below. The paid version provides automatic updates.
You can download the program from the company’s website at
On Apple iMac and MacBook computers if the hard drive is failing you do not get a warning. The hard drive uses an internal program called S.M.A.R.T. to report its condition but OSX never tells you about it. A sign of a failing drive is when it takes a long time to open a program. Use one of the following trial programs to check your mac hard drive for failure. If the program shows bad sectors call us and we can duplicate your bad drive onto a new one and save your data.
Voltan Smart Utility
Core Code SMARTReporter
When a hard drive starts to fail the computer can start to work slowly even when everything else is fine. We recommend running check disk on your internal and external hard drives once a month and it will attempt to recover the drive. Below is a free program CheckDIskGUI that reduces the number of steps to check your hard drive. The scan takes about 2 hours to complete, start it before you go to sleep or leave the office. After the scan completes the computer will automatically restart back into windows. Then run a program called CrystalDiskInfo that will report the condition of the hard drives. If CrystalDiskInfo reports a problem call us right away and we can duplicate and save your information on a new drive. Once a hard drive starts to go bad it will only get worse so don’t hesitate to replace it.
Perform the following steps on all you Microsoft Windows computers to check if your hard drive is working properly.
1. Download and run Check Disk GUI at
2. Select all your internal and external usb drives you want to check. Your main internal drive is usually C: . If you are running bootcamp on an Apple computer do not select Macintosh HD.
3. Select Fix and Recover
4. Select yes to schedule a scan and restart your your computer
5. After the scan completes download and run CrystalDiskInfo at
If the program says caution or bad then the drive is failing.
There have been reports of Lenovo preinstalling bloatware on their consumer line of computers with one of them having a security risk. Many PC manufacturers install trial programs and ads on computers they sell called bloatware to make extra money. They are usually not a problem but can be annoying to uninstall them all on a new computer. A program they installed to serve ads based on the images you are viewing can be used by other websites to do harmful things to your computer.
Microsoft puts a stamp on clean computers called Microsoft Signature Edition they have none of these programs or ads installed and they work better.
To check if your computer has a program that works like superfish click the link below.
Lenovo has released a tool to completely remove the program.
Here is a neat feature for Bing video search feature that Google doesn’t have. On Bing you can search for videos by topic then then preview or play the video without leaving the website. The benefit of this is that you don’t have to wait for the website that actually contains the video to load along with all the ads or viruses. You can also right click the video and select open in new window without your search result page being lost. The new window can sized to fit the video then be moved to another monitor. With multiple video windows playing on a second monitor at the same time this can have many uses.
Try it out at http://www.bing.com/videos/